This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your discretion when relying on it.
Characters in "Middle Passage"
- Captain Ebenezer Falcon: Captain of the Republic, involved in illegal slave trading.
- Rutherford Calhoun: Protagonist of the story; a freed slave who stows away aboard a ship called the Republic.
- Ngonyama: Allmuseri tribesman on the Republic, being transported to America in the illegal slave trade, who takes charge of the ship after the mutiny.
- Isadora Bailey: Schoolteacher whom Calhoun escapes being blackmailed into marrying. Nevertheless, they plan to marry by the end of the story.
- Papa: Creditor of Rutherford Calhoun. He is also part owner of the Republic.
- Peter Cringle: The First Mate of the ship. He is considered by Calhoun to be a very moral man.
- Josiah Squibb: The ship's cook. Calhoun is his assistant.
- Baleka: An Almuseri girl that Calhoun has come to care for.