Why do you think Shylock is more interested in making Antonio suffer than he is in getting his money back?
Possible reasons for Shylock's extreme malice toward Antonio include, (but are not limited to):
- Shylock hates Antonio because Antonio has repeatedly spit on him and treated him with contempt in the past.
- Shylock hates Antonio because Antonio has bailed out Shylock's creditors in the past, diminishing Shylock's profits.
- Shylock is angry because Lorenzo, one of Antonio's group of friends, has eloped with his daughter Jessica.
- Shylock is distraught over Jessica's behavior and wants to see someone else to suffer.
- Shylock is angry that his servant has abandoned him to...
Join Now to View Premium Content
GradeSaver provides access to 763 study guide PDFs and quizzes, 5071 literature essays, 1537 sample college application essays, 195 lesson plans, and ad-free surfing in this premium content, “Members Only” section of the site! Membership includes a 10% discount on all editing orders.