1. What is the “beast from air”? How is it appropriate that the boys mistake it for a beast—what connection does it have with the novel’s themes, and what does it symbolize?
2. What does Sam and Eric’s description of the beast tell us about human psychology?
3. How does Ralph overcome Jack‟’ challenge during the discussion about what to do about the beast?
4. What significant thoughts does Simon have about the beast while the boys are walking to the “castle”?
5. Why do you think Ralph doesn’t really expect to encounter the beast?
6. How do most of the boys react to their discovery of the “castle”? What foreshadowing takes place at the end of the chapter?