1. What preparation have Jack and Roger made, and what plan do they have for Ralph, according to Samneric?
2. What hope does Ralph hold at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What is unusual about “the stick”? How is this an example of dramatic irony?
4. What is used in the first attempt to flush Ralph out of the thicket?
5. What is the nature of the second attempt?
6. What has drawn the captain to the island?
7. Briefly discuss the symbolism and irony related to fire as developed in this chapter.
8. How does the point of view shift or change with the coming of the captain?