1. Explain the role of the conch in this part of the story. What is its meaning for each of the characters? Is there a change in the conch? If so what is the nature of the change?
2. What important action does Roger take? What foreshadowing earlier prepares us as readers for this capability within Roger?
3. Why does Ralph run away?
4. What does Golding mean—“They understood only too well the liberation into savagery that concealing paint brought.”
5. What is Golding showing about the state of civilization or social order on the island? What symbol plays an important role and how?
6. Consider the actions and nature of Jack and Roger. What might Golding be suggesting about plot events to come?
Please number the short answers corresponding to the questions. Thanks a ton!