Students read chapters 9-10.
Common Core Objectives
• Reading well: appreciating how the author is playing out each theme; enjoying the suspense of a rapid approach to the climax.
• Thinking well: using the discussion questions to consider how drastically but quickly the landscape has changed on the island.
• Speaking well: developing oral skills through vocabulary development, debate, and group discussion.
• Listening well: developing a taste for good grammar and strong diction by participating in the group discussions; evaluating oral arguments in the classroom debate.
• Writing well: creating and sustaining an argument; using evidence, in essay form.
• Understanding: exploring the...