Students read chapters 3-5.
Common Core Objectives
• Work on reading well: learning how to track themes and characters; appreciating the narrative structure; appreciating the achievement of good writing.
• Introduction to thinking well: using the discussion questions to do more than just read; assessing the oral reading of peers.
• Introduction to speaking well: developing oral skills through vocabulary development, discussion of thought questions, and reading aloud.
• Expressive skill: writing a leadership speech.
• Understanding conflict of power: considering Jack’s challenge to Ralph’s authority and how this may precipitate the ineffective meeting.
• Introduction to the significance of...