Lolita Study Guide
Lolita study guide contains a biography of Vladimir Nabokov, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
John Ray, Jr., Ph.D. writes in a foreword that Humbert Humbert, author of the following manuscript, titled "Lolita, or the Confession of a White Widowed Male," died in jail just before his trial was to start in 1952.
Humbert narrates hereafter. He details his European childhood and background as a scholar and relates his tragic childhood love for Annabel Leigh, whose death traumatized Humbert. Humbert is now obsessively attracted to "nymphets," young girls who possess a mysterious seductive power.
After shuttling around some mental institutions and doing odd writing jobs, Humbert lands in the New England town of Ramsdale. He takes a room at the house of widower Charlotte Haze because her beautiful young daughter, Lolita, reminds him of…
Read the full Lolita Summary
- Lolita Summary
- About Lolita
- Character List
- Major Themes
- Summary and Analysis of Foreward - Part One, Chapters 1-10
- Summary and Analysis of Part One, Chapters 11-20
- Summary and Analysis of Part One, Chapters 21-33
- Summary and Analysis of Part Two, Chapters 1-10
- Summary and Analysis of Part Two, Chapters 11-19
- Summary and Analysis of Part Two, Chapters 20-36
- Related Links on Lolita
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources