Lolita Study Guide & Essays
Vladimir Nabokov started writing Lolita while teaching at Cornell University in 1949. He continued writing the novel while traveling with his wife around the country on summer butterfly hunting trips (Nabokov was an esteemed lepidopterist, or butterfly specialist), and completed the novel in 1954…
Lolita study guide contains a biography of Vladimir Nabokov, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
- Lolita Summary
- About Lolita
- Character List
- Major Themes
- Summary and Analysis of Foreward - Part One, Chapters 1-10
- Summary and Analysis of Part One, Chapters 11-20
- Summary and Analysis of Part One, Chapters 21-33
- Summary and Analysis of Part Two, Chapters 1-10
- Crime and Pun: Moral Evasion in Lolita
- Solipsizing Lolita: The Unreliable Narrator in Nabokov's Lolita
- Humbert Humbert and Cue
- Headmistress Pratt: Guide to the Separate Worlds in Lolita
- Vladimir Nabokov's Techiniques of Rhetoric in Lolita
I'm confused about when Clare starts stalking Lolita himself.
I know that Quilty's uncle was Lolita's neighbor, so Lolita may have met him at a younger age.
I know that the first time Quilty appears to Humbert is at the Enchanted Hunters hotel.
But how did he know to go to that hotel? Was he already stalking them then? If so, how did Lolita tell him to go there, or even know what hotel Humbert was headed for? Was it McFate that brought him there?
It's bothering me for some reason. Thanks for any input.