1. What is one of Pi’s favorite methods of escape? Why do you think he enjoys it, and how do you feel about this method?
2. Why does Pi no longer feel that he can take care of Richard Parker? Why does Richard Parker’s death sadden him more than his own?
3. Discuss Pi’s initial feelings about the voice he hears. What does Pi discuss with the voice, and to whom does Pi think the voice belongs? What happens when Pi meets the owner of the voice?
4. Why do you think Pi feels no joy being rescued from the murderous Frenchman?
5. What “exceptional botanical discovery” does Pi make, and how does he initially react to this discovery? How does this discovery improve Pi’s life?
6. What happens on the island at night, and why does Pi decide to leave? Would you have stayed on the island? Why or why not?
7. How does Pi prepare for his departure, and why does he take Richard Parker, a dangerous animal, with him?
8. Which threat to you think is most frightening, the island or the Frenchman? Why?
9. Where does Pi eventually land, and why does he cry when he arrives?