- The novel has been adapted into two major feature films:
Jude the Obscure (1971), directed by Hugh David, and starring Robert Powell and Fiona Walker
Jude (1996), directed by Michael Winterbottom, and starring Christopher Eccleston and Kate Winslet
- A two-part musical stage adaptation of "Jude the Obscure" by Ian Finley (book), Bruce Benedict (music), Jonathan Fitts (music), and Jerome Davis (lyrics), premiered at Burning Coal Theatre Company in Raleigh, NC in April 2012.
- There is a pub in the Jericho suburb of Oxford called "Jude the Obscure" owned by the Greene King Brewery.
- Northern Irish band Therapy? have a song entitled "Jude the Obscene" on their 1995 album, Infernal Love.
- Elements of the hit ITV drama Broadchurch are drawn from the life and works of Thomas Hardy, and one character is seen reading the book Jude the Obscure.
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is
providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a
professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do
not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your
discretion when relying on it.