Invisible Man Study Guide
Invisible Man study guide contains a biography of Ralph Ellison, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
The novel opens with a Prologue describing the depressed state of the narrator, who remains nameless throughout the novel. He is an invisible man, he proclaims, and has taken to living unknown underground, sucking electricity from the state of New York into his many light bulbs that he has hung in his lair. The novel is to be the story of how he came to be in this position.
As a young boy, the narrator overhears the last words of his dying grandfather, whose message lingers with him through high school. He is struck with this idea when he is asked to give his college oration to the town's most honored white men. At the fancy ballroom where he attends the occasion, he is ushered into the battle royal with the other boys hired for the…
Read the full Invisible Man Summary
- Invisible Man Summary
- About Invisible Man
- Character List
- Summary and Analysis of Prologue and Chapters 1-2
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 3-5
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 6-8
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 9-11
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 12-14
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 15-17
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 18-20
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 21-23
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 24-25 and Epilogue
- Related Links on Invisible Man
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources
Invisible Man Essays and Related Content
- Invisible Man: Essays
- Invisible Man: Questions
- Invisible Man: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Ralph Ellison: Biography
2-marvel has a discussion with the invisible man . What does he want to do?(the invisivle man will not hear of it)
3- marvel runs into a pub screaming . What does he want?
4-the invisible man appears at dr.kemp's house .how did he know him?what does he keepasking kemp for?
5- the next morning the invisible man begins his story to kemp .what fascinated him in college?
6-the invisible man explains that his early experiments caused his landlord to become suspicious. Explain what he had heard and why he was looking about the apartments.
7- after becoming invisible.the invisible manleaves the rantedbuilding . How does he "cover his tracks"? That is, what does he do the building