1. Who is Wayne Westerberg? Where does he live? How does he know Alex?
2. Did the people who met Alex think he had a lot of common sense?
3. What problem did Chris have with his parents?
4. What were his relationships with women like?
5. What, instead, did he yearn for?
6. What does Westerburg offer to for Alex so he can stay and work longer?
7. On his final night in Carthage, what does Alex do that surprises everyone?
8. According to his postcard, where does Alex arrive, via train, on April 18?
1. Generally, what did Alaskans think of Chris McCandless and his death?
Kraukauer claims that Alaska has always attracted a certain sort of live-off-the-land dreamer. Let’s look at some of the other bush-casualty types that have gone into the wild in Alaska:
2. What was the Major of Hippie Cove/ Gene Rosellini trying to prove? How did he die?
3. What platform did John Waterman run for president on? What was he going to do to publicize his campaign?
4. What mistake does McCunn make when the airplane flies by?
1. Where is Davis Creek?
2. Find a quote from one of Ruess’ letters that sounds like McCandless. Explain why it sounds like McCandless.
3. What was the pseudonym Everett Ruess took for himself? It is Latin. What does it mean?
4. There are many theories about what happened to Ruess. Describe at least 2.
5. Who were the papar?
1. What did Alex make “terse observations” about in his diary?
2. Who was the first person to identify McCandless, based on an article in The Anchorage Daily News?
3. Why didn’t the cops take Westerberg seriously when he called to give them information about McCandless?
1. What did Chris’ dad, Walt, do for work?
2. Which member of his family was Chris most like? Why?
3. What team was Chris the captain of in high school?
4. What did Chris do while his classmates were attending parties and other ‘typical’ high school functions?
5. How did Chris feel about money?
1. What did Chris give Walt that made him really emotional (at his graduation)?
2. What did Chris discover about his father when he visited the El Segundo neighborhood in California?
3. What sort of classes did Chris seem to prefer at Emory?
4. Why did Chris support the Republican party?
5. Where did Chris take the Datsun in the summer of 1989?
6. What did Billie McCandless dream in July, 1992?
1. Who did Chris want to take with him in the summer of 1992, right after he graduated from Emery?
2. Who flew to Alaska to retrieve Chris’ remains?
3. What items did the coroner return to his family?
4. How did Chris die?
1. What what mountain did 23-year-old Krakauer want to climb? Where is it located?
2. How did Krakauer get to Petersburg?
3. What did Krakauer make in anticipation of the hazard of crevasses he might encounter on the glacier?
4. How did he get his supplies to the Stikine Ice Cap? How long does he plan to be there?
5. What kind of climbing is he doing?
6. What happens at the end of his first attempt to climb the Devil’s Thumb?
1. What does Krakauer accidentally light on fire?
2. Who took Krakauer climbing for the first time?
3. What does Krakauer’s father want him to be professionally? Instead, what does he embrace?
4. What does Krakauer do after the storm hits on his second attempt to climb the Devil’s Thumb?
5. Does make it to the top?
6. How does he get back to Petersburg?
7. What does Krakauer mean when he says, “I was stirred by the mystery of moratily,”? Do you think that Chris McCandless was stirred by this too?
1. How did Alex get to Alaska?
2. Where did Stuckley drop Alex off? What did Alex intend to do?
3. What supplies did Alex bring into the wild?
4. What was Alex’s original plan when he went into bush?
5. How long did he spend at the bus?
6. What does Alex call “one of the biggest tragedies of my life”? Why?
7. What keeps McCandless from leaving the bush early in July, 1992?
1. According to the USGS topo map of the Teklankia River, what is downstream a mere half a mile that might have helped Alex, had he know of it?
2. How does Krakauker cross the river?
3. What is littered about, all around the bus?
4. Who was Sir John Franklin? Why did people draw paralells between him and Alex?
5. What did Chris primarily write about in his journal?