1. What did Krakauer and his companions find that would have allowed Chris to get across the river relatively easily?
2. What did Andy Horowitz (Chris’ childhood friend) say about Chris?
3. As Krakauer and his party move through the brush on the Stampede Trail, what type of tracks do they see that put the party “on edge?”
4. What told Gordon Samel and Ken Thompson immediately that Chris “didn’t know what the hell he was doing” in Alaska? Were they right about this?
5. Why did the bus “smell like dead birds?”
6. Why, according to Krakauer, did Chris have to make a belt?
7. Where does the party sleep at night?
8. Give one quote that from this chapter that you would consider a key or crucial quote. Make sure you use quotation marks and give the page number.