How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents Study Guide & Essays
Julia Alvarez published her first novel, How the García Girls Lost Their Accents, in 1991 at the age of 41. Built from interrelated stories she had been publishing in magazines and literary reviews throughout the 1980s, it was the first major novel about the Dominican-American experience to be…
How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents is a novel by Julia Alvarez. How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents study guide contains a biography of Julia Alvarez, 100 quiz questions, a list of major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
- How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents Summary
- About How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents
- Character List
- Glossary of Terms
- Major Themes
- Quotes and Analysis
- Summary and Analysis of "Antojos"
- Summary and Analysis of "The Kiss"
1. What is strange about the years listed at the beginning of this second section?
2. Why does Papi decide to become an American citizen?
3. What kinds of mischief do the García girls get into, resulting in threats from the parents to
ship them back to the island?
4. Name two incidents from the story that show how the García girls stick together.
5. What is Mami’s “little revolution”?
6. Why do the Fifi’s sisters think she has turned into an “S.A.P?”
7. Who is Manuel Gustavo?
8. For what reasons do Fifi’s sisters question her relationship with Manuel? What is their
nickname for him?
9. Why do the García sisters finally decide to get rid of Manuel?