What are some good discussion questions one can use to discuss this beautiful novel?
Answers 2Add Yours
The House on Mango Street
1. Where did the narrator live before she moved to The House on Mango Street?
2. How were her previous homes different?
3. In what kind of house would she like to live?
4. Cisneros writes “I’m going to tell you a story about a girl who doesn’t belong…” Why does she feel she doesn’t belong? Is her experience universal for all adolescent girls?
5. How is Esperanza’s identity shaped by her community?
6. How does her identity shift throughout the vignettes?
7.Why are the Four Skinny Trees important to Esperanza?
House on Mango Street