Note that many different editions of this book exist. Dr Lurline Stuart (PhD), Research Associate at the National Centre for Australian Studies at Monash University, has produced an edition that shows a core text and the variations, with detailed commentary, from the other texts that were produced during Clarke's life. See http://hass.unsw.adfa.edu.au/ASEC/HNL_Blurb.html
- Clarke, Marcus For the Term of His Natural Life Adelaide : Rigby, Seal books edition, 1970. ISBN 0-85179-222-7
- Other editions – South Yarra, Vic. : Claremont Book, 1990. ISBN 0-670-90378-7 :
- The entire text exists online at http://web.srv.adfa.edu.au/JITM/HNL/Annotation_Viewer.html and http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/clarke/marcus/c59f/index.html
- Clarke, Marcus For the Term of His Natural Life Sydney: HarperCollinsPublishers, A&R Classics edition, 2002. ISBN 0-207-19839-X
This edition contains various typographical errors throughout the text.
- Australian Classics: Marcus Clarke's His Natural Life, The Book Show, ABC Radio National 10 August 2009