1. Describe the imagery on page three. What does “451” mean?
2. How does Montag feel about being a fireman? Describe your first impressions of him.
3. Clarisse is hypnotized by the Salamander and the phoenix disc, explain why (6).
4. Explain the importance of the power failure and connect to Anthem (7).
5. Clarisse describes a past that Montag has never known. She describes a time when firemen put out the fires and the world did not move so quickly. Describe his reaction to this conversation with Clarisse.
6. Interpret the following quote: “He wore his happiness like a mask and the girl had run off across the lawn with the mask and there was no way of going to knock on her door and ask for it back” (12).
7. Montag describes his wife sleeping in their room, yet says that, “the room was indeed empty,” explain this paradox (12).
8. After working on Mildred, the machine operator tells Montag that "we get these cases nine or ten a night." What does this reveal about the emotional stability of the populace? What other forms of violence are rampant? Why do you think this society has become so violent?
9. Explain the foreshadowing that takes place on pages 25-27.
10. On page 30 Clarisse describes herself as “responsible”. Do you find it odd that children are shooting and killing each other in this utopian society?
11. As a fireman, Montag has the position of power that Equality wanted, explain this sentence: “I-I’ve been thinking…” (33). Does it state that nobody is allowed to think in this story like in Anthem?
12. Explain what is happening, concerning Mildred, on page 46.
13. Connect what happened to Clarisse McClellan to Montag when he thinks the hound is outside (47-48).
14. Explain the significance of this quote: “Shut the ‘relatives’ up,” said Beatty, looking around at everything except Montag and his wife.” “This time, Mildred ran” (53).
15. The situation on pages 56-57 when Mildred feels the outline of book in the bed is very odd. Explain your understanding of what is taking place.
16. In the last paragraph on page 59, Beatty discusses why people started to burn books. Discuss whether you agree or disagree with his reasoning.
17. After reading page 61, write down your understanding about being “smart” in this society.
18. Interpret the following quote: “We let fireman keep the book twenty-four hours. If he hasn’t burned it by then, we simply come burn it for him” (62).