Crime and Punishment Study Guide
Crime and Punishment study guide contains a biography of Fyodor Dostoevsky, literature essays, a complete e-text, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
One July day in St. Petersburg, a poor young man slips out of his apartment and goes out. He is Rodion Romanych Raskolnikov, a former student, and he is preoccupied with something. He arrives at the apartment of Alyona Ivanovna, a pawnbroker, where he is attempting a trial of the unknown deed obsessing him.
He has pawned something to this woman a month before, and now pawns an old watch for much less than he had hoped to get. As the woman gets her money, he watches and listens very carefully, storing up details in his memory. He leaves after vaguely mentioning that he may come back soon with another pledge.
Tormented, he wanders down the street, mentally at war with himself. He happens upon a tavern, where he stops to eat and drink something…
Read the full Crime and Punishment Summary
- Crime and Punishment Summary
- About Crime and Punishment
- Character List
- Summary and Analysis of Part One, Chapters 1-4
- Summary and Analysis of Part One, Chapters 5-7
- Summary and Analysis of Part Two, Chapters 1-4
- Summary and Analysis of Part Two, Chapters 5-7
- Summary and Analysis of Part Three, Chapters 1-6
- Summary and Analysis of Part Four, Chapters 1-6
- Summary and Analysis of Part Five, Chapters 1-5
- Summary and Analysis of Part Six, Chapters 1-4
- Summary and Analysis of Part Six, Chapters 5-8
- Summary and Analysis of Part Seven, Chapters 1-2
- Related Links on Crime and Punishment
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources