This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your discretion when relying on it.
- The Actress, a friend of Lizzie’s and, by all appearances, her lesbian lover.
- Abigail Borden, the step-mother of Lizzie.
- Andrew Borden, Lizzie's father, owner of the property.
- Emma Borden, older sister.
- Lizzie Borden, the play’s central character.
- Dr. Patrick, Lizzie’s closest ally in the play.
- Harry Wingate, Lizzie’s step-uncle and the catalyst for her decision to murder her parents. He arrives at the Borden home to convince Lizzie’s father to sign away ownership of the family farm to his wife, Harry’s sister. This means that Lizzie's hold on the estate is in danger.
- Historical context: Lizzie Borden
- Historical context: the murder and trial
- Historical context: women’s rights
- Production history
- Critics' response