Premium Content Perception as Plot: A Structural Account of the Level of Action, Character, and the Narrative of Suspicion in Benito Cereno
By Anonymous - March 05, 2009
In “The Grammar of Narrative,” a chapter in his longer work, The Poetics of Prose, Tzvetan Todorov describes the simplest, “minimal complete plot” as consisting “in the passage from one equilibrium to another. An ‘ideal’ narrative begins with a stable situation which is disturbed by some power or force. There results a state of disequilibrium; by…
This excerpt of the essay is provided for free. To read the complete essay of 3681 words or to get access to our full library of Literature Essays, please subscribe below or log in if you are already subscribed.
Join Now - Choose a Membership Level
GradeSaver provides access to quizzes, 3077 literature essays, 906 sample college application essays and ad-free surfing in this premium content, "Members Only" section of the site! Membership includes a 10% discount on all editing orders.
We have been mentioned in the Washington Post, the Economist, and many other papers around the world for our exceptional essays. GradeSaver has reviewed each essay for quality; these essays are the very best on the Internet and many have been written by students of Ivy League colleges.
|3-Day Trial (recurring)||$2.95 *|
|30-Day Trial (recurring)||$6.95 *|
|1 Month Membership (one-time charge)||$12.95|
|12 Month Membership (one-time charge)||$49.95|
* After your trial period, you will be billed a monthly fee of $6.95 with the option to cancel at any time. Questions? Read our FAQ.
Benito Cereno Essays and Related Content
- Benito Cereno: Study Guide
- Benito Cereno: Major Themes
- Benito Cereno: E-Text
- Benito Cereno: Questions
- Benito Cereno: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Herman Melville: Biography
- The Barber's Mastery in Melville's Benito Cereno
- The Importance of Setting in Melville's "Benito Cereno"
- Rebels and Non-comformists in the Short Stories of Herman Melville
- The Demise of the 19th Century American Liberal: Representations in ”Benito Cereno” and Our Nig
- Perception as Plot: A Structural Account of the Level of Action, Character, and the Narrative of Suspicion in Benito Cereno
- The Illusion of Superiority in The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass and Benito Cereno (College)