And Then There Were None Glossary
Glossary of Terms
bestialRefers to animalistic characteristics.
brandyBrandy is a type of sweet liquor.
ceramicA crystalline material similar to glass.
ChanceryChancery is a branch of the court system in England and Wales.
chinaA molded piece of glass or ceramic; often very fragile.
chloral hydrateA sedative used to treat short-term insomnia.
cyanideA chemical compound used to create lethal poisons.
DalmainA type of European sports car manufactured in the early twentieth century.
GenreA literary term that denotes any types of literature, film, or art grouped similarly based on particular characteristics. This can also refer to a type of popular literature with a narrow subject meant for entertainment.
gramophoneA device for recording and playing recorded music or sound.
guineaA British denomination of money.
hypodermic needleA needle used in medicine for injecting liquids through the skin.
mackintoshA British term for waterproof clothing.
ModernismA period marked by particular architecture, literature, film, and other art forms during the first and middle parts of the twentieth century. Modernism offered stark and realist interpretations of the world.
NatalA town in South Africa.
plumpA British expression denoting a guess, or suspicion.
pukka sahibPukka sahib is a Hindi term used for British military officers during the early twentieth century. It denotes an aloof, impartial, incorruptible arbiter of the political fate of a large part of the earth's surface.
sine qua nonSine qua non refers to an indispensable and essential action.
The CrownA shorthand term for the British government, which is a constitutional monarchy.
tongueAn inexpensive piece of beef -- the tongue of a cow -- that often comes in cans.
And Then There Were None Essays and Related Content
- And Then There Were None: Major Themes
- And Then There Were None: Questions
- And Then There Were None: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Agatha Christie: Biography
- And Then There Were None Summary
- About And Then There Were None
- Character List
- Glossary of Terms
- Major Themes
- Quotes and Analysis
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 1-3
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 4-6
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 7-9
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 10-12
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 13-16
- Summary and Analysis of Epilogue and Manuscript
- Agatha Christie and the Revival of Genre Fiction
- Related Links on And Then There Were None
- Suggested Essay Questions
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 3
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 4
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 5
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources