The precise date of events in the play are unclear. However it is possible to construct a timeline of All My Sons using the dialogue. The action takes place in August 1946, in Midwestern United States with the main story taking place on a Sunday morning over the following 24 hours.
- Autumn 1943: Joe encourages Steve to supply the USAAF with faulty cylinder heads for aircraft engines
- Autumn 1943: After 21 planes crash, Joe and Steve are arrested
- November 25, 1943: Having read about his father's arrest, Larry crashes his plane off the coast of China
- 1944: Joe is released
- August 1946, a Sunday morning at 4am: Larry's memorial blows down
- August 1946, the same Sunday morning: Ann arrives at the Keller home
- August 1946, the same Sunday morning: George visits Steve in prison (opening)