Absalom, Absalom Links
Related Links on Absalom, Absalom
The author of this webpage gives a nice summary of the book and analyzes some academic criticism of the book. - His thoughts on Quentin's characterization in this book are particularly smart, and he includes bibliographic information for all the criticism he analyzes.
This site offers a comprehensive chronology of Faulkner's life. - Each of his works are mentioned and there are links to a brief summary of each work.
This paper was originally published in the journal of the Arkansas Philological Association. - It is a fascinating discussion of the weddings in Faulkner works. The author explores how Faulkner's depiction of weddings reflects his views on marriage, fertility, and womanhood. This site is a good one if you are doing an essay on feminity or marriage in a number of Faulkner works.
This site documents the historical debate over Absalom, Absalom! and Gone with the Wind. - Both books were published in the 1930s and took dramatically different positions on slavery and the Civil War. Drawing from reviews published in the 1930s, and equipped with charts and diagrams, this site is a great resourse for primary sources. It provides good historical context for Faulkner's time.
This site provides a nice summary of the work and some quotes from Faulkner. - It's most useful for the discussion questions at the end, though--these are great practice for an essay on the work or a test.
This is a discussion of one of the most important themes in Absalom, Absalom! (and The Sound and the Fury): incest. - The author contextualizes Faulkner's use of incest and offers good commentary on its role in both books.
This is a copy of Faulkner's 1950 Nobel Prize acceptance speech. - Faulkner gave one of the most famous acceptance speeches of all, explaining his vision of writing and man in the modern world.
Absalom, Absalom Essays and Related Content
- Absalom, Absalom: Major Themes
- Absalom, Absalom: Essays
- Absalom, Absalom: Questions
- Absalom, Absalom: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- William Faulkner: Biography
- Absalom, Absalom Summary
- About Absalom, Absalom
- Character List
- Major Themes
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 1
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 2
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 3
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 4
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 5
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 6
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 7
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 8
- Summary and Analysis of Chapter 9
- The Biblical Story in Absalom, Absalom!
- Related Links on Absalom, Absalom
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources