After reading chapters 18-24 in To Kill a Mockingbird and viewing the clips about the Jim Crow Laws and the Freedom Riders, discuss how Atticus Finch is similar to the Freedom Riders. Think about the questions below
- How does Atticus display courage?
- How do the Freedom Riders display courage?
- Why are their actions considered courageous?
- What is Atticus fighting for?
- What are the Freedom Riders fighting for?
- How do things turn out in Atticus' fight?
- How do things turn out in the Freedom Riders' fight?
After completing your comparison, discuss what you believe you would have done if you were in Attitcus' and/or the Freedom Riders' shoes? Would you have taken a stand? Why or why not?